22 December 2012

Saveur

Saveur actually means flavour. This little hideout is extremely popular in recent days. Been hearing so much about them from all my friends and I knew I had to try. Arrived on a Friday evening at around 7pm (probably the most peak day/hour) and was told that the wait could be longer than 30 mins and they would call me when the table is ready.

Main door with a large crowd of people outside waiting for their table

I went back after 30 mins but my table wasn't available yet. Finally, my phone rang after about 55 mins. Well, to be very honest, Friday night at 7pm and the wait was about 1 hour? That's quite reasonable (I ever waited much longer at other places). If the food is good, i'd say the wait is worth. So here goes.

Starter Menu

Mains Menu

Dessert Menu

Special menu

Salmon Confit - Confit of Salmon, & Apple and Fennel Salad ($9.90)

I have to say i'm impressed with the taste. The confit was nicely done, maintaining the freshness and juiciness of the fish. Chives adds some fresh spiciness to perk up the dish. And the black bits were abit of a mystery. But I determined it to be minced/chopped preserve plum. This adds to the savoury aspect of the dish which keeps me going back for more. It's the first time I've seen this combination and this is smart cooking, very commendable. Oh and the salad's acidity helps to cut through some of the fats in the salmon which completes the dish. The presentation may appear slightly plain but for the price and flavours delivered, this dish easily scores 9.5/10.

Foie Gras - Pan-seared Duck Liver served with Apple-Infused Port Wine and Vanilla Bean ($9.90)

If you had always wanted to know how foie gras taste like, and prices elsewhere always puts you off, fret not. You've come to the right place. At only $9.90 a portion, it can't get any better.

Foie Gras - Pan-seared Duck Liver served with Apple-Infused Port Wine and Vanilla Bean ($9.90)

Foie Gras, being basically a fattened liver, is filled with fats. Some people may not be able to fully appreciate its gooey texture. Saveur has done well to combine it with apples and port, which blends perfectly.

Duck - Duck Leg Confit, Homemade Mashed Potato, Sauté Shiitake Mushroom,
Orange Segments, Orange Infused Natural Jus ($10.90)

The presentation was much to my disappointment but if a $10.90 duck confit could satisfy my tastebuds, i'd have no complains. First up, I was disappointed with the mashed potato. Although it was soft and silky, it was overly powered by butter. The duck leg confit had a nice crispy skin with soft and juicy meat. That was exactly how i'd like my confit to be. I've had friends telling me that Saveur's duck confit was always too dry. Either i'm lucky or they've realised. Whatever happened, do give them another chance and you might be amazed.

Chicken - A Roulade of Chicken Thigh Stuffed with Foie Gras-Infused Chicken Farce,
Creamy Basmati Rice, Parmesan Sauce ($9.90)

Presentation was good and I was looking forward to taste it. The basmati rice was really creamy but lacked flavours, made it really plain. The roulade of chicken also taste quite plain, under-seasoned, not salty enough. The entire dish felt kindda heavy and lacked flavours. Also, I do not get the foie gras part of this dish, it felt non-existant. 

Pistachio Panna Cotta - Pistachio Flavoured Cooked Cream,
topped with ground and Caramelised Pistachio ($6.90)

I've got to say i'm absolutely mesmerised by this. The panna cotta had a rich heavy pistachio flavour which I didn't expect. The nuts on top gave it a perfect crunch. I'm a big fan of pistachios, and if you are one too, this is a beauty. I'm coming back for more.

From Special Menu: Cookies & Milk ($9.90)

Extremely surprising presentation. Only a layer of foam and I instantly knew we would be in for a treat.

Cookies & Milk - Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Milk Soil, Honey Cloud, Cherries in Kirsch, & Peanut Butter ($9.90)

If you are a fan of peanut butter, this is exactly what you need. It's a lot of peanuts in different forms and textures. I love the cherries soaked in Kirsch. Also, the surprise element in this dessert are popping candies. There was a layer of it on the ice cream and it caught me by surprise. This is a childhood dish, anyone would like it.

Overall, I am happy with the meal and would be back again. Despite having to queue for almost an hour, the food did not disappoint. On top of that, this is perhaps the only place where you can get decent quality french fare at such affordable prices. I'm not sure whether the 'special menu' would change regularly, but I hope it does. There are a couple of really interesting addition to their usual menu and this would make me come back frequently.

Address:
5 Purvis Street, #01-05

Contact:
6681-6448

Opening hours:
Mon to Sun - 12pm to 2.30pm
Mon to Sun - 6pm to 9.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment